A building permit must be obtained to lawfully improve property in the following manner:
- Fencing (if not replacing a current fence in the exact same spot)
- Sheds, outbuildings, carports, shops, storm cellars/safe rooms (interior/exterior)
- New dwelling or structure
- Room additions (changing the square footage of the structure)
- Swimming pool (in-ground and above ground) NOTE: State law requires pools be fenced)
- Moving of structure
- Street/sidewalk/pavement cutting
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
A building permit is NOT required for:
- Interior remodels that does not affect the outside shape of the dwelling
- Replacing existing fencing in the exact same spot. (Landowner is responsible to make sure fencing in on property.)
You may download a copy of the building permit application, or pick one up at City Hall (119 S. 2nd), or call (580) 658-5401. You must be locate property lines or have a copy of a survey of property available.
Once the application is submitted, it will take up to a week to receive a permit. A survey may be required in some situations, and variances may have to be heard before the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council for approval. Call for more information.